Knowledge in precision marking, handling of precision instruments, mastering in filing, scraping operation and simple drilling jig, dismantling, repair and assembly of machine parts and their erection are imparted in this trade.
FITTER – LEARNING OUTCOMES – ITI
- Plan and organize the work to make job as per specification applying different types of basic fitting operation and Check for dimensional accuracy following safety precautions. [Basic fitting operation – Marking, Hacksawing, Chiselling, Filing, Drilling, Taping and Grinding etc. Accuracy: ± 25mm]
- Manufacture simple sheet metal items as per drawing and join them by soldering, brazing and
- Join metal components by riveting observing standard
- Join metal component by arc welding observing standard
- Cut and join metal component by gas (oxyacetylene)
- Produce components by different operations and check accuracy using appropriate measuring instruments. [Different Operations – Drilling, Reaming, Taping, Dieing; Appropriate Measuring Instrument – Vernier, Screw Gauge, Micrometer]
- Make different fit of components for assembling as per required tolerance observing principle of interchange ability and check for functionality. [Different Fit – Sliding, Angular, Step fit, ‘T’ fit, Square fit and Profile fit; Required tolerance: ±0.04 mm, angular tolerance: 30 ]
- Produce components involving different operations on lathe observing standard procedure and check for accuracy. [Different Operations – facing, plain turning, step turning, parting, chamfering, shoulder turn, grooving, knurling, boring, taper turning, threading (external ‘V’ only)]
- Plan & perform simple repair, overhauling of different machines and check for functionality. [Different Machines – Drill Machine, Power Saw, Bench Grinder and Lathe]
- Make & assemble components of different mating surfaces as per required tolerance by different surface finishing operations using different fastening components, tools and check functionality. [Different Mating Surfaces – Dovetail fitting, Radius fitting, Combined fitting; Different surface finishing operations–Scraping, Lapping and Honing; Different fastening components – Dowel pins, screws, bolts, keys and cotters; Different fastening tools-hand operated & power tools, Required tolerance – ±0.02mm, angular tolerance ± 10 min.]
- Make different gauges by using standard tools & equipment and checks for specified accuracy. [Different Gauges – Snap gauge, Gap gauge; Specified Accuracy – ±0.02mm]
- Apply a range of skills to execute pipe joints, dismantle and assemble valves & fittings with pipes and test for [Range of skills – Cutting, Threading, Flaring, Bending and Joining]
- Make drill jig & produce components on drill machine by using jigs and check for
- Plan, dismantle, repair and assemble different damaged mechanical components used for power transmission & check functionality. [Different Damage Mechanical Components – Pulley, Gear, Keys, Jibs and ]
- Identify, dismantle, replace and assemble different pneumatics and hydraulics components. [Different components – Compressor, Pressure Gauge, Filter Regulator Lubricator, Valves and ]
- Construct circuit of pneumatics and hydraulics observing standard operating procedure & safety
- Plan & perform basic day to day preventive maintenance, repairing and check functionality. [Simple Machines – Drill Machine, Power Saw and Lathe] , Plan, erect simple machine and test machine tool accuracy. [Simple Machines – Drill Machine, Power Saw and Lathe].
FITTER CAREER PROGRESSION PATHWAYS – ITI
• Can join industry as Technician and will progress further as Senior Technician, Supervisor and can rise to the level of Manager.
• Can become Entrepreneur in the related field.
• Can appear in 10+2 examination through National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS) for acquiring higher secondary certificate and can go further for General/ Technical education.
• Can take admission in diploma course in notified branches of Engineering by lateral entry.
• Can join Apprenticeship programme in different types of industries leading to National Apprenticeship certificate (NAC).
• Can join Crafts Instructor Training Scheme (CITS) in the trade for becoming instructor in ITIs.
• Can join Advanced Diploma (Vocational) courses under DGT as applicable.
FITTER JOB ROLE – ITI
Sizes metal parts to close tolerances and fits and assembles them using hand tools for production or repairs of machines, or other metal products. Studies drawings to understand specification of different parts, fittings or assembles to be made and their functions. They select materials, appropriate tool and equipments to carry out their work. Holds the work in Vice, Cuts and shapes required parts to dimensions and specifications by processes of sawing, chipping, filing, grinding, drilling holes, screw cutting, scrapping etc., using hand tools for making specimens or finished components. Measures object while working using foot rules, calipers, micrometer, gauges etc. and checks for correct filing with square. Gets half-finished object marked or marks it himself using face plate, marking block scriber, vernier, height gauges, vee-blocks, angle plate, sine plate, slip gauges, combination set, etc. depending on accuracies required, to indicate guide lines for finished sizes, holes to be drilled and pitch centres, threads to be cut and other working details as specified in drawing or sample. Clamps object securely in correct position in vice and files it to required dimensions according to punch marks and guide lines frequently measuring it with calipers, micrometre, vernier, gauges etc, makes holes with drill, cuts threads with taps and dies ensuring that they are square or at required angle to base. Measures finished article with dial indicator, micrometre, vernier, height gauges, screw gauges, plug gauges, sine bar, slip gauge, etc according to prescribed accuracies. May make parts separately and assemble those with screws, rivets, pins, etc. as specified so as to make complete unit according to drawing. Dismantles or removes worn out, broken or defective parts using hand tools or power tools and replaces them by repaired or new ones. Performs repairing and maintenance work (including preventive maintenance) of simple machines, dismantles and replaces different components to construct circuit of Pneumatics and Hydraulics. Tests completed article/ assembly to ensure correct performance. May do simple turning of parts on machines and perform welding, brazing, and like operations. May explain heat treatment processes viz., annealing, hardening, tempering etc. May specialize in particular type of machine or product and be designated accordingly. May suggest alterations.
In addition, Fitter have the ability to visualize the job, good coordination, mechanical attitude, manual dexterity and perform work related mathematical calculations.
Plan and organize assigned work and detect & resolve issues during execution. Demonstrate possible solutions and agree tasks within the team. Communicate with required clarity and understand technical English. Sensitive to environment, self-learning and productivity.
Fitter Entry Qualification & Course Durations – ITI
• Passed 10th class examination with Science and Mathematics or its equivalent.
• 2 years.